Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What I've Been Up To

Obligatory picture of dog being cute
I've been preparing for and taking the GRE.

When I first started this blog I was still intending to go through with my decision to become a high school teacher. One of my main reasons for wanting to do this was that I thought our country needed more well-qualified teachers. My own high school Biology teacher was terrible and made many of my classmates hate the subject, but my senior Zoology teacher (yes, my high school offered it) was amazing. She made me want to be like her. I got into a post-baccalaureate program, began taking courses, and even took the GACE (Georgia Assessment for the Certification of Educators). I did well. I thought it was even kind of fun. Then, I actually got into a classroom full of high school freshmen to observe and realized I hated it. The kids were impossible. It actually depressed me. So, I pulled myself out of the program.

Now, I'm working on applying to PhD programs. My hope is to get a PhD in genetics. I had some apprehension about the teaching program even before I applied to it, but the concept of me going into genetics research is just plain exciting. It's going to be challenging, sure, and I'm going to have to move far away from everyone I know, but that's okay.

I'm hoping to get some new blog posts up quite soon.

2 comments:

  1. Ah... the GRE... I remember those. The best way to remember the vocab is to use it. Try sprinkling GRE words into new posts from time to time. ;)

    Anyway, wishing you the very best of luck and inspiration! It's a tedious process, applications included, but I think those of you in the sciences tend to fare better than those of us in the humanities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did exactly the same thing with regard to thinking I'd teach high school - although I had a great high school biology teacher. I did the observation period and knew I'd murder some fairly innocent high school student sooner or later if I became a high school teacher. Now, I teach at the college level - sometimes first year students are trying, but nothing compared to high school first years!

    ReplyDelete