Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Food Hopping: Why I've Stuck with Inconsistent Feeding

In my pantry right now
For over three years now, I have been exploring the wide world of dog food. In that time, I have never bought two bags of the same food in a row. As soon as I begin to run out of one bag, I transition over to another brand. This means that, at maximum, my Labrador is eating a certain food for about thirty days. I've had some interesting discussions with the workers at the pet store within walking distance of my condo, and they think it's simply bizarre that I would do what I do. It's unusual, sure, but I think it's had a positive effect on my fella.

Before this journey began in early 2012, Ebon hadn't really eaten that many foods in his life. When I first brought him home, he and our old dog Charlie ate Purina One and I was not the major decision maker in what sort of food was bought (I was only sixteen at the time). When Iams became cheaper at the grocery store we went to, we switched to Iams. Ebon was fed Iams for maybe three years. I got older and wiser and Ebon was eventually switched to Nutro's Natural Choice, then to Blue Buffalo. Purina One and Iams did Ebon no favors, and the changes when he stopped eating them were pretty fantastic. I finally switched him to the PetSmart-exclusive Simply Nourish, which was the food he was eating when I decided I wanted to try something different. I started doing single-bag trials and reviewing the food based, in part, on how well Ebon did while eating it.

The funny thing about this, though, is he has been generally more stable in terms of coat quality, digestive health, and energy than he was when being fed a single food for an extended period. Sure, there's been some duds that upset his stomach and so on, but he also had more than a few incidents when he had been eating the same kibble for months. There's a reason why I worry so much about his stool and call his stomach "a bit touchy." For the longest time, it seamed like so little could set him off. But since my little experiment started, he's had fewer problems and the ones he does have tend to be more minor. This could very well be a coincidence, but I suspect it's more than that.

For people, it's not generally considered healthy to eat the same thing day in, day out. So, why wouldn't that same rule apply to our pets? A person shouldn't eat turkey on rye for every meal, so why should a dog eat lamb and brown rice for the rest of its life? While pet foods are meant to be complete and balanced for long-term nutrition, it is still very possible that a certain food would lead to some sort of deficiency thanks to things like digestibility, ingredients, and nutrient bioavailability. For example, I've discussed before my concerns about the inclusion of plant-based protein boosters in pets foods. Nutritional information on pet food is very limited, and one of the few things that we do get are things like the percent of food that is protein. The problem with this is that plant proteins, due to being more difficult to digest, have a lower bioavailability than animal proteins. That means that the amount that can be measured in the sources is different than the amount that a body can actually absorb and make use of. Since dogs, being carnivores, have short digestive tracts, bioavailability is a very valid concern when discussing food quality. A food with a large amount of plant protein may mean that a dog isn't able to actually utilize as much protein as it should. In addition, plant proteins are generally not complete, meaning they're missing one or more essential amino acids: the protein building blocks that a body cannot manufacture itself. Those amino acids have to come from somewhere, and deficiencies can cause pretty serious side effects (see Kwashiorkor).

Due to all of that, it's not unlikely that even a very well formulated food has flaws. So, switching between foods on a regular basis may have the positive effect of mitigating whatever nutritional deficiencies a certain food may have. Considering what I've seen with Ebon, this very well may be what has happened with him.

It's also been fascinating to learn more about how my dog ticks. Comparing him to my parents' dogs has also contributed to my current opinions of dog food. One main thing? Every dog is different. Ebon does better on more calorically dense foods than my parents' greyhounds. For Ebon, fish-based foods are more likely to set him off than mammals and birds. Grain-free and grain-inclusive foods aren't any different for him even though a lot of dogs do best on grain free. The greys can't go grain free because it gives them the runs. Then again, a lot of things give them the runs. They have the notoriously awful stomachs that are so common in the breed. Ebon has his issues, but they're pretty exclusively linked to nervousness, while for the greys it could just be a Wednesday.

After all this time jumping brands and knowing that Ebon does well as long as the food fits a fairly short list of criteria, I've been shopping sales and picking up whatever hits the right balance of quality and price. One major advantage to this is I can often save several dollars a bag versus if I was constantly buying the same brand every month. I also have a few other criteria. I watch how much rice Ebon eats, since there is some concern about levels of arsenic. I am careful about my own rice intake, so I'm careful about his too. I never feed two bags of dog food that contain rice in a row, so it tends to alternate between grain-free and grain-inclusive. I also try to rotate out proteins, but this isn't as easy to do. He tends to get a lot of chicken, but I buy non-chicken food as often as I can.

When my little experiment first started, my goal was to find a food to settle on for the rest of Ebon's life. Now, however, I think I'll continue to switch it up indefinitely.

Ebon recently, still as happy as ever. 

18 comments:

  1. Years ago, I fed my dog a home made diet due to some diet-related heath issues. I did this based on science with the National Research Council guidelines and a spreadsheet and MANY hours at the USDAA nutritional database. After a few years of this, the price of beef started to go up and I wanted to try adding some of the newer commercial foods to my dog's diet to save money and time. I wanted to do this without unbalancing his food, so I decided to put some of these foods into my spreadsheet.

    I made several discoveries about the nutritional profile of commercial dog foods: 1) Many companies hide their nutritional info and will not even give it when requested. 2) The nutritional profile of any product varies from lot to lot. 3) Dog foods vary GREATLY in nutrient profile across brands. "Complete and Balanced" does NOT mean what it implies.

    I've seen the numbers. Whenever I have a dog that can tolerate it, I always rotate foods.

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Các nhà khoa học Nhật Bản sẽ giúp bạn tìm ra phương cách tốt nhất để vừa tăng cường sức khỏe, vừa chống lại ung thư một cách an toàn và hiệu quả nhất. Cùng tìm hiểu công dụng của thuốc fucoidan hỗ trợ điều trị ung thư Fucoidan Umi No Shizuku giá bao nhiêu? Mua ở đâu?
    Fucoidan Umi No Shizuku là thực phẩm chức năng hỗ trợ điều trị ung thư của Nhật Bản được đánh giá cao nhất hiện nay. Tham khảo cách dùng thuốc Fucoidan. Fucoidan là kết quả của nhiều năm nghiên cứu và tổng hợp của các bác sĩ hàng đầu tại Nhật. Đây là sản phẩm cao cấp từ hãng dược phẩm Kamerycah Inc. Fucoidan là thuốc gì ? một trong những thương hiệu tiên phong trong lĩnh vực ứng dụng thực phẩm biển phục vụ việc chữa bệnh để mang đến sức khỏe tối ưu nhất cho người sử dụng. cách sử dụng thuốc Fucoidan. Bài viết này sẽ giúp bạn tìm hiểu về sản phẩm thuốc hỗ trợ điều trị ung thư Fucoidan Umi No Shizuku giá bao nhiêu? Mua ở đâu?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those of you who want a dog bed that is so different than other, to make it just as unique as your fur angles, I am about to share dog beds that are cool as, unique and funny with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh its realy infomative .Thanks for sharing keep posting in future.Emotional Support Animal Letter

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very good and nice collection. Love to see this. I am looking for more, can you providee me the more collection? Thanks.
    Farm Supplies

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dog sounds create excitement in dogs and help them in getting up and go out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Howdy

    This is a really interesting subject. We have good online college courses about that.

    Kind Regards,
    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do the same thing with my cat because he is a very picky eater and he needs to stimulate his princely taste buds with different meat every week.

    https://aab-edu.net/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am questioning that during this time you must deliver a try and this new app AdAway Apk : which is now maximum trending app inside the global.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chemicals used in industries gives me Leukemia and it's all started when I wanted to get off my job to get another job that when I got diagnose, at that very point I was so scared to die because it has infected my blood cells also I was prescribed drugs like Cyclophosphamide,Busulfan,Bosutinib,Cytarabine, Cytosar-U (Cytarabine),Dasatinib in all that was just to keep me waiting for my dying day. I got inspired by what I read from a lady on blog spot on how Dr God hands cure her HIV/Aids with herbal medicine then they were lettered below that says he can cure Cancer so I pick his contact on the testimony she wrote then I emailed Dr God hands hopefully he replied swiftly to my mail then I purchased his Herbal medicine also it was shipped to me here in Texas, I went to pick it at post office so he instructs me on how the treatment will take me three weeks to cure my Leukemia Disease, Joyfully I was cured by this Dr God hands Herbal Medicine.
    I will advise you too to give a try to Dr God hands Herbal Medicine with the following diseases that he can help you cure permanently such diabetes, Herpes, HIV/Aids, Bladder Cancer, Breast Cancer,Parkinson's disease,Lung Cancer, Breast Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer,Arthritis,Fibromyalgia,Adrenocortical carcinoma. Asthma, Cold, Glaucoma, Cardiovascular disease, Lung disease, Enlarged prostate, Alzheimer's disease, Dementia, Vaginal Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Lung Cancer, Skin Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo_Rectal Cancer, Leukemia Cancer, Hepatitis, Brain Tumors, Love Spell, Infertility, Hpv. GoodLuck, XoXo****Dr Owo Ibuku Also known as Doctor God hands Contact Information:::Email (doctorgodhands@gmail.com) WhatsApp-(+2349057214220)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing Blog! Thank you for sharing such a great post. One of the most Natural Pet Products with Best ingredients branded dog shampoo. Buy Natural Pet Products Online. Boops and Bleps India's Best Dog Grooming Products Brand and we Offers You Organic Dog Shampoo & Conditioner in India.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fly Ash in Texas is a pivotal component in construction, enhancing concrete durability and reducing environmental impact. It's a cornerstone of sustainable building practices statewide.

    ReplyDelete
  14. chocolates in makka are a rare delight, combining the sweetness of cocoa with the rich flavors of Saudi Arabia's holy city. Indulge in this unique fusion of tradition and temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's some serious dedication to finding the best for your furry friend! While exploring dog food, consider how interior fit out Dubai can create a pet-friendly space that enhances your and your dog's comfort and well-being.

    ReplyDelete